Know the Personal Injury Basics
Each year, countless injuries occur due to car and trucking accidents, medical malpractice, slip-and-fall cases, defective products, alcohol-related accidents, and many more. If you believe another person or company’s negligence caused your injury, it’s important to take the following actions.
1. Seek medical attention right away. Call 911 or have someone take you to the hospital immediately following your accident.
2. Document the scene, and file a police report. Write down everything you can remember from the accident. If possible, take photos and video of the scene. Write down information of everyone involved in the accident, including key witnesses and police officers. Make sure to gather full names, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance information.
3. Stick to the facts when talking with insurance companies and police about your injury. Avoid phrases like, “It wasn’t your fault,” “It isn’t that bad,” or “I’m ok.”
4. Keep a detailed record of your doctors’ visits and any medical cost incurred.
5. Talk with an expert Alabama injury attorney before speaking with insurance companies or attempting to settle the case on your own.
6. Remember, in Alabama you only have two years to file a lawsuit against the person or company responsible for your injury.
7. Seek out an Alabama injury attorney or law firm with adequate experience and success in personal injury cases.
Most lawyers do not charge a fee for an initial consultation. So if you’ve been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, it is worth seeking legal advice and filing a personal injury claim. Regardless of where you’re located, whether in Mobile, Alabama or elsewhere, a knowledgeable personal injury attorney can help get you the compensation you deserve.
About the author: Desmond (“Desi”) V. Tobias and Bryan E. Comer are the attorneys of Tobias, McCormick & Comer, LLC. They specialize in representing victims in cases involving personal injury, wrongful death, defective products, medical malpractice, automobile accidents, trucking accidents, injuries caused by alcohol consumption, and premises liability. With combined experience of more than 30 years representing people who have been injured by the wrongful acts of others, Desi and Bryan continue to serve as two of the finest Mobile car accident lawyers.To learn more about Tobias, McCormick & Comer, LLC, please visit www.tobiascomer.com.