Each year, countless injuries occur due to car and trucking accidents, medical malpractice, slip-and-fall cases, defective products, alcohol-related accidents, burn injuries and many more. If you believe another person or company’s negligence caused your injury, it’s important to take the following actions.
- Seek medical attention right away. Call 911 or have someone take you to the hospital immediately following your accident.
- Document the scene and file a police report. Write down everything you can remember from the accident. If possible, take photos and video of the scene. Write down information of everyone involved in the accident, including key witnesses and police officers. Make sure to gather full names, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance information.
- Stick to the facts when talking with insurance companies and police about your injury. Avoid phrases like, “It wasn’t your fault,” “It isn’t that bad,” or “I’m ok.”
- Keep a detailed record of your doctors’ visits and any medical cost incurred.
- Talk with an expert personal injury attorney before speaking with insurance companies or attempting to settle the case on your own.
- Remember, in Alabama you only have two years to file a lawsuit against the person or company responsible for your injury.
- Seek out a personal injury attorney or law firm with adequate experience and success in personal injury cases.
Most lawyers do not charge a fee for an initial consultation. So, if you’ve been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, it is worth seeking legal advice and filing a personal injury claim. A knowledgeable personal injury attorney can help get you the compensation you deserve.
Do you think you have a personal injury case? Contact us for a free initial consultation. We work one-on-one with each of our clients to ensure your case is executed properly and to the full extent.